So it’s all well and good having all these machines in the gym to get you seriously stacked, but what’s a fella to do if he can’t get to the gym as often as all the gym junkies. I wanted to know the same thing when I first started taking fitness seriously several years ago.
Who needs weights and machines when you can use your own body as a fat burning, muscle building tool? Let’s look at 4 of the best bodyweight exercises that from my experience are conducive to burning fat.
Need an exercise that will work your full body so your spouse doesn’t have any fat to pinch on you? Burpees are for you! Burpees (also called squat thrusts) are so effective you can perform them without doing any other exercise, especially during when you’re short of time.
How to do burpees:
1. While standing, crouch down to a low squat position
2. Place hands on the floor and kick feet back to a starting push-up position
3. Lower your body to perform a push-up and quickly bring your knees to your chest
4. Jump up and propel yourself as high as possible
2. Mountain Climbers
While you won’t actually be climbing up a mountain, it will definitely feel like you have when you do this exercise right. Mountain climbers are a great tool to use for fat-burning purposes.
It may not be as tough as climbing a real mountain, but it will make your physique so appealing that the opposite sex will want to climb you.
How to do mountain climbers:
1. Place your hands on floor in a push-up position, shoulder width apart
Keeping the push-up position, put one leg forward underneath your torso while keeping the other leg straight
3. Alternate your legs back and forth rapidly as if you are running in place while maintaining stability in your upper body
Keep doing the movement for allotted interval time
3. Jump Squats
If you haven’t jumped since that Kriss Kross song, it’s time to get reacquainted with this movement. Besides being a great movement to use as a party anthem, jump squats are also perfect for burning fat.
How to do jump squats:
1. While standing, slightly bend your hips and knees while keeping your back arched throughout the movement
2.While in the lower squat position, jump as high as you can
Land in the same position you started in; repeat movement for set amount of reps
Want to make this exercise more challenging? Perform it while holding light dumbbells.
4. Side hops (also called lateral hops)
Side hops are a superb fat burning exercise. It practically targets every muscle below your waist; thus, it will burn many calories while building muscular legs. So if you and your buddies plan on playing dodgeball soon, make sure you start working on this movement.
How to do side hops:
1. Start in an athletic stance with feet shoulder-width apart
2. Hop to the right, then immediately hop to the left (Imagine hopping over a straight line)
Incorporate these 4 bodyweight fat-burning exercises into your workout routine and I guarantee you’ll see yourself getting lean before you know it.
So enough reading… time to get to work!